It’s been a while since I posted anything on this blog, too long! But there’s not been much happening with the bikes as they’ve been running well. However I’m feeling in need of a change now so–.
I took the sidecar off the big Panther a couple of days ago, not the easiest of jobs when working on your own, but do-able, the body is now up on a pair of trestles in the shed and the chassis is in the back yard.
The Panther now stands as a solo in the garage, but she’s not on her own as the old BMW has been brought out of storage and is standing beside her. They make a good pairing, the 600cc 1937 Panther M100 and the 750cc 1940 BMW R12.
Although the Panther has the smaller displacement engine of the two she is the more powerful at 26bhp to the BMW’s 20bhp, but the BMW is a twin cylinder side-valve with a heavy external flywheel so is possibly the better slogger of the two, still neither was intended as a sports bike.
Anyway the BMW is set up with a full set of Steib quick release sidecar fittings so once I have the chair set up for her I can drop it on and off in around five minutes work, Useful!!
Now, what does the BMW need doing to get her in commission again?
Well her battery is an AGM sealed unit and has survived her laying up, still showing about half-charged when I put it on the charger. She is magneto ignition and that’s sparking well but I’ll treat her to a new pair of plugs.
How about oils?, well oil is cheaper than metal so it’s new oil all round, and owing to her age it’s an old-fashioned non-detergent type oil. Equally I needed new drain and filler plug gaskets.
On a machine of this age these should be the hollow rolled-copper type rather than the solid aluminium ones BMW now supply. A quick rake round on ebay soon found a supplier of these in the neccessary 14mm and 18mm sizes.
Rather than run her up to hot on the old oil I let her drain out overnight and then it was just a case of fill the engine to between marks on the dip-stick and the gearbox and final drive until the oil reached the bottom of the filler hole threads.
Now came the acid test, she’d been stored with a dry tank so I put a half-gallon of fuel into the tank, no leaks visible! GOOD!!, turn on the tap (which way is “ON” and which is “RESERVE”??, I can’t remember!! ).
OK, the carbs had filled so a good tickle on each carb, crack open the throttle and turn over the engine several times to prime the cylinders, then it was just switch on the ignition and kick her over.
While she fired she didn’t pick up so a tad more throttle, try again and the old girl was running again! Tick-over balance is a bit off but I’ll need her warmed through to set that up so it will have to wait.
Now I know she’s a runner what else needs doing.
An immediate obvious is indicators!. Last time out she was hauling the chair.
I know it’s non-original but on modern roads an outfit NEEDS indicators and now you can use LED units without overloading the electrical system so she was fitted up with lights on one side, the others being on the chair. So it was get another pair of indicators and fit them.
I had to make up (and paint) a set of mounting brackets for them, run in the wiring and then tap it into the circuit to the sidecar indicators, a quick check and found they were working.
Next thing was cosmetics, the front mudguard needed some serious touch-up where the paint had been badly scarred and had started lifting while the old lady had been sitting in the storage unit.
Fortunately it can be redone while still on the bike as it would be serious hassle to remove it and then given a dose of “T-Cut” after about a fortnight’s curing followed by a polish job should see things OK.
As I’m writing this she’s standing in the garage with the first top coat on the guard giving it time to harden off before she’s put away for the night, another coat tomorrow should then see it ok.
I can’t really complain as both guards were in a bad state when I got the bike back at the beginning of the Eighties and they needed serious patching to be made usable, since then she has seen some serious mileage!